Amazon Special on Humidipak

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/30/2015 5:14 pm
One of today's (30 March 15) Gold Box Deals on Amazon is a Planet Waves Humidipak System Replacement Packet, 3-pack for $11.29...a couple bucks off the regular Amazon price, I think.

This deal runs until 4 p.m. Eastern or until all of the deal's items are claimed.
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
Removed by 165603 via wipe user button 2021-06-09
04/01/2015 5:50 am
Hey John,
Is this what your talking about?
Planet Waves Humidipak Automatic Humidity Control System (For Guitar)
I like the automatic part but not sur how it works.
Price is $19.99 + shipping
Let me know
BOB LECH AF2Q (beargyrils@aol.com)
Wilderness Elite Search & Rescue
Search & Rescue Training. + Survival Skills
Severe Weather-Swift-Water-Pet Rescue
(609)-638-1629

Former member of the 12:00 Oclock Skydiving Team

o

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/01/2015 1:42 pm
That's the system, Bob. This Amazon link, http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Humidipak-Automatic-Humidity/dp/B000OMG0KI/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1427895460&sr=1-2&keywords=planet+waves+humidipak , gives a good description of the system.

The special was for a set of three replacement packs but the Gold Box Deals run just a few hours and this one expired on Monday (the 30th).
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
04/03/2015 11:30 pm
Hi John
As long as I have been dealing with Amazon I never heard of that gold box deal.
Well in my bedroom the humidity is always around 45% or lower here in NJ.
I used to do refrigeration work so I repaired a trashed dehumidifier and that takes care of the humid air we get here in the summer.
But I went for those packs just to see how they work.
I have been using water in a small container then putting the rubber sound hole cap on then check it 2 days later.
It does the job but the changes in water level are insignificant.
Thanks for responding
BOB LECH AF2Q

o

# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/04/2015 12:01 am
Hi again,

Just in case you haven't found the page, here's the url for Amazon's Gold Box Deals, http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ . Each deal runs for a couple hours and there's a new group each day...usually featuring a dozen or more random products discounted from Amazon's regular price. One can sign up for email notification and that's what I did...the email is waiting for me each morning and all I have to do is click the link and a browser page opens with all kinds of wondrous stuff/junk. :D

I've participated in GT threads about humidifying guitars and spent a lot of time researching the different products. Given that my guitars' room is borderline acceptable humidity most of the year I opted for a homemade solution...a cut up, wet sponge placed inside a 35mm film canister (no top). The canister is kept in place inside the guitar case with Velcro sticky tabs. Within a week the sponges require rewetting.
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
04/06/2015 3:27 am
Hi John,
Many thanks for that link.
Sorry for being slow responding.
They should have it set up so I get notified.
Hope you had a Nice EASTER.
I went trout fishing and now playing the guitar.
Have a nice week
BOB LECH AF2Q

o

# 6
04/08/2015 5:58 pm
Hi John,
My bed room is always about 45 % but I'm on the 4th floor and it gets hot up hear so I repaired a broken down trashed humidifier and it keeps the room cool and humidity where I want it.
I keep all the strings loose and let the guitar dry out.
In a couple days I measure everything out.
I have 15 guitars and I never had to adjust a truss rod.
If I get string buzz then I know I have to keep it in the other room and 2 days later it sounds great.
BOB LECH AF2Q

o

# 7
04/08/2015 6:10 pm
Originally Posted by: john of MTHi again,

Just in case you haven't found the page, here's the url for Amazon's Gold Box Deals, http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ . Each deal runs for a couple hours and there's a new group each day...usually featuring a dozen or more random products discounted from Amazon's regular price. One can sign up for email notification and that's what I did...the email is waiting for me each morning and all I have to do is click the link and a browser page opens with all kinds of wondrous stuff/junk. :D

I've participated in GT threads about humidifying guitars and spent a lot of time researching the different products. Given that my guitars' room is borderline acceptable humidity most of the year I opted for a homemade solution...a cut up, wet sponge placed inside a 35mm film canister (no top). The canister is kept in place inside the guitar case with Velcro sticky tabs. Within a week the sponges require rewetting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
John,Did you ever check the humidity with a meter.
How can the water in the sponge escape from inside the case?
You can't beat this but if you collect guitars like me LOL it comes to big money BOB LECH

o

# 8
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/08/2015 11:56 pm
I have a meter outside but near the guitar cases. In another room I have another hygrometer and that's how I know the humidity in the guitar's room is borderline.

While I have not measured humidity in the individual cases I'm confident that the moisture from the small sponge(s) (~ 3/4 X 1 1/2 X 1/2") is sufficient for the guitars' needs. The sponges dry out and require rewetting weekly as their moisture is 'lost' to the inside of the cases and then humidifies the guitars as any other inside-the-case system.

It's important to note that this small system is suitable for a small humidity issue. Probably not so much with larger humidity extremes or frequent fluctuations. Also, different guitars of different sizes and materials will have different requirements.

Check out Stephen White's sub-forum, "Ask a Guitar Tech" for threads about guitar humidification and go to YouTube for vids on both manufactured and home made systems.
-- Chet Atkins
# 9
04/10/2015 3:25 pm
Hi John,
I guess I may be wrong but I don't think it's that critical
I had sever guitars sitting in both dry and humid conditions and all I needed to to was a minor tune up on the strings.
You can buy a humidifer and a dehumidifer but thhe one I fixed up has a stat on it and it's 65% humidity here but in the other room it's cool and 40% humidity/
Check out some small portable units on Amazon
BOB LECH AF2Q

o

# 10
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/10/2015 3:54 pm
The critical concern is the relative humidity that the guitars experience over the long term and the degree and speed of change in that humidity. In other words, it should be held constant as much as possible and the commonly accepted 'right' level of humidity is 45%. Too dry and some guitars will experience body cracking and/or shrinking of the fretboard (resulting in sharp, exposed frets). How bad these problems can be or how susceptible the guitars are depend on such things as the guitar's style (e.g. acoustic or solid body), the materials and types of wood used and the individual guitar itself. There are issues with too much moisture too but, from what I've read, they are less common.

Many of the injuries guitars suffer are fixable but there's always the risk that they are not. Not only can a lot of money be lost but the years devoted to breaking in a beloved guitar can't be recovered.

I most certainly am [U]not[/U] the guy to talk to about it. ;) Talk to luthiers and GT's Stephen White.
-- Chet Atkins
# 11
04/10/2015 6:40 pm
Hi John,
Well it's not like the guitar is going to suck up a bunch of water over night
Yes the luthiers know what their doing but they do it their way and does not mean it's right for all of us.
Wood is selected and very tight as far as the pores of the wood goes.
I'm sure you heard that the longer and more played guitar sounds better after a few years.
The wood resonates and responds to different tones.
I have a few $200.00 guitars here and I converted then to electric with sound blenders and they sound great.
Just play and don't worry about it because one day will be dry and the next 5 days will be wet.
On the cheap guitars I replace the nut and bridge with that Tusk material then put on a good set of strings and that guitar will be hard to put down.
I have a nice SeaGull but I think my $300.00 Epiphon Dove sounds much better.
I have that dehumidifier I told you about and it's nothing but an A/C unit.
On super humid days I have it in the bed room and set on low.
By 6:PM the pan is full of water.
Heat is attracted to cold so that pan full of chilled water will pull in some humid air.
To much moisture and to much dry air will damage most wood so this why I use the dehumidifier.
Also where you live and where I live makes a big difference.
During the winter I just use a small plastic cup but in the summer the humidity is so thick I see Perch swimming by :-)
BOB LECH

o

# 12
04/13/2015 4:02 pm
Last year,maybe more i picked up a Epiphine FT 79 AN

o

# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.