High E string overpowering

schadie001
schadie001
11/09/2014 4:06 pm
Hello, I'm a new guitar player and have noticed that when I listen and am learning some basic songs that my high e string seems to be overpowering all the time. I don't hear it when the instructor is playing but when I play that high string is always heard above everything. Of course it's really bad on the up strum. Any suggestions?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/11/2014 2:42 pm
Originally Posted by: schadie001Hello, I'm a new guitar player and have noticed that when I listen and am learning some basic songs that my high e string seems to be overpowering all the time. I don't hear it when the instructor is playing but when I play that high string is always heard above everything. Of course it's really bad on the up strum. Any suggestions?

Hey & welcome to GT!

First, what kind of guitar are you playing? Next, what are you playing that makes this happen: a specific chord? Any chord?

In general, it's best to let the pick glide over the strings & not dig in too much. This requires a light touch when gripping the pick & not clamping down too hard with your grip or digging into the strings too far.

Hope this helps. Ask more if necessary & have fun!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
adir olf
adir olf
11/23/2014 1:32 am
I experience the same thing!!!!
I think I am just hitting the string to hard. I don't hear it as much when I fingerpick.
:D
Adir olf
My new "best group ever": THE YAWPERS
Rocking acoustics really hard
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cbpkAhifOvw
# 3
csignor525
csignor525
12/14/2014 2:41 am
It definitely in the way I use my right arm/wrist/fingers that gives my D major and to some extent my A major chords that overly bright High E.. I trying to present less pick and use my arm from the elbow to strum down the strings. Some times it hard to tell when I am strumming the D major whether it my ring finger to close to the 2 fret / high E string or my picking. I am new to this sight (even though I have had the membership since the summer) so I am going to explore and try out every way to get my right hand and my left hand to make beautiful music
# 4
mjblikemike
mjblikemike
03/26/2023 3:11 am

I'm reviving this because it is driving me crazy. I strum ans this high e, especially on up strums is just ringing out and overpowering everything. Electric guitar. I notice it on the g major a lot. I might be hitting it too hard in the up, but I really have to be light on it to avoid this. And sometimes that makes me avoid it completely. So far strumming has been seemingly difficult for me.  Been playing for almost 2 months. 

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/26/2023 2:02 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: mjblikemike

I'm reviving this because it is driving me crazy. I strum ans this high e, especially on up strums is just ringing out and overpowering everything. Electric guitar. I notice it on the g major a lot. I might be hitting it too hard in the up, but I really have to be light on it to avoid this. And sometimes that makes me avoid it completely. So far strumming has been seemingly difficult for me.  Been playing for almost 2 months. 

In general a light touch is all that's required to play everything.  You can dig in & get aggressive with your picking or strumming.  And that can be a useful musical approach at times.  But it has to be equally applied to all the strings in order to be effective.

I suggest looking closer at pick & strum angle.  Is your pick or strum approach deeper as you get to the E string?  Are you twisting your wrist in order to angle the pick on the upstroke?  This helps to get the pick to lightly graze across the strings on the way back.  And always aim for minimal motion.

You are welcome to upload a video for advice.  Or you can take the extra step of a one on one lesson.  Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.