NIRVANA RULE

spazzed
spazzed
11/07/2001 10:16 pm
I'm sure veryone out there agrees that Nirvana are the best band since time began and before that too. Also that MOST metal sux! U dont need to answer to that its a statement!
# 1
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/08/2001 5:13 pm
just curious, which metal doen't suck?

anyways: an analogy:

when i first started to play guitar i thought clapton was the greatest guitarist there ever was (not completely based on nothing), but then i heard hendrix and van halen, then i heard malmsteen and petrucci, and my beliefs keep changing with everything i hear.

my point is don't limit yourself like that. nirvana was good and they brought a new type of music, however, as far as talent and songwriting goes, there are better, but it is my opinion, and this is yours. so believe what you want.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/08/2001 5:54 pm
Originally posted by spazzed
I'm sure veryone out there agrees that Nirvana are the best band since time began and before that too.

I think if you said that to a group of musicians, or just about anyone else for that matter, you would get laughed out of the room.
# 3
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
11/08/2001 6:29 pm
I hate to differ with you but there never was a best band, in the history of music.ect ect
Thier all good in thier own right!
You will find this out in years to come after you,
pay some due's to music!

Mark
P:S The statement you made is caused by your peer's ,
one day you will find this out!

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 4
Vertigo
Vertigo
11/09/2001 11:26 am
i agree...don't limit yourself...

in anything...
- Vertigo

# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/09/2001 6:28 pm
man... all i can say is that probably you've never heard
about any other band except nirvana, and that is realy sad
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
spazzed
spazzed
11/10/2001 10:26 pm
firstly i have listened to a lot of other bands and artists other than nirvana
i agree not to limit my musical tastes, but i just dont really like all the old sorta music of the 70s/80s you know the sort.
in my opinion sure hendrix and the likes were good guitarists but the music wasn't great
the idea that metal sux also is that all of these 'trendies' have grown a liking to metal bands
you know all these goth wannabees dress in black and normal and wear slipknot as a band not for the music
i find it so irritating that these people like the band to be cool not the music because its good.
by the way i like slipknot thats why i hate the trendies!!!!!!
congrats if you agree

# 7
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
11/11/2001 3:31 pm
to start with i don't like nirvana, but i am still going to stick up for them. "why?" i hear u cry but the answer is very simple. nirvana get knocked alot because as far as tecnical players go they weren't very adventurs and all their song were just mush. having said that they were very succsesful with their mush and i don't think they get enouph credit for this. o.k. cobain could have been a better guitarist but john lennon wasn't exacly a outstanding guitarist was he? lennon gets praised for his ability to complement a song and for his song-writeing ability, and rightly so, so why shoulden't cobain? again i remind u that i am not a fan of thiers, but niether am i a fan of the beatles. i just think they do get more than their fare share of insults
Tandem Felix
# 8
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/11/2001 4:52 pm
firstly i have listened to a lot of other bands and artists other than nirvana
i agree not to limit my musical tastes, but i just dont really like all the old sorta music of the 70s/80s you know the sort.
in my opinion sure hendrix and the likes were good guitarists but the music wasn't great
the idea that metal sux also is that all of these 'trendies' have grown a liking to metal bands
you know all these goth wannabees dress in black and normal and wear slipknot as a band not for the music
i find it so irritating that these people like the band to be cool not the music because its good.
by the way i like slipknot thats why i hate the trendies!!!!!!
congrats if you agree

nirvana is trendie!!! besides its not any different from metal, only worse coze there are no solos, or at least no good ones
good music? did you ever hear about things like :harmony, theory, scales? well cort cobain didnt, and i realy realy dont understand how can anyone think nirvana is the best band ever
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 9
spazzed
spazzed
11/13/2001 10:14 pm
Hey NIrvana dont suck
how long will it take me to persuade u all?
Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist he played simple stuff because he doesnt need to show off or play crappy music!
Krist Novoselic is teh best bassist you'll find around-still
and Dave Grohl, Dale Crover, Chad Channing are the best drummers that dont look like puffs
Lets be honest all these 70s/80s glamrock bands are, repetitive they all look the same and all sound the same
Nirvana made something new, they invented something new that no one has managed to achieve since!
What did all the OLDIE bands like:
Def Lepard
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
etc what did they do that was original?
Apart from suck in their own way with there multiple guitarists, bet they didnt have 1 lead guitarist taking all responsibilties:
playing the solo and still keepin the song going
any way i dont want to bore you as i'm sure you have heard these bands above so argue with that!!!

# 10
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/13/2001 10:58 pm
hmmmm let's see...

pink floyd--the innovators of many studio effects and sounds, gilmour used compound bends, name another guitarist before him that did that as often, not original?? name another album that remotely rembles the Wall or Dark Side of the Moon

led zeppelin--i'll pay you a hundred dollars if you can prove to me that stairway to heaven is not original, you find the song that page and plant used to copy and you'll be a hundred dollars richer. it's no coincidence that it is the most requested song ever. in addition, they were the first really har rock band of which everyone else copied. they were also one of the first to fuse other musical genres into rock i.e. reggae (Dyer Maker) and eastern (kashmir)

others:

van halen and randy rhoads--brought tapping into the mainstream

hendrix--feedback among other things

you want to talk about original, howcome nirvan only used power chords, sometimes the same ones in each song. the all sound the same. the reason cobain played simple stuff was because that's all he could play. when you play guitar you play to your limits, those so called "oldie" guitarists were not showing off, they were playing to the best of their abilities, jealous people are the ones saying they showed off. because of that, i'm sure the concerts were a lot more intersesting.

finally i'll end by saying that playing the melody of the song as the solo in every song is usually no considered original.

when people vote for the greatest bands or songs, it's no wonder Zeppelin and Pink Floyd and Hendrix top the charts.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 11
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/14/2001 12:05 am

I wasn't going to get involved in this ridiculous discussion, but when someone bashes Pink Floyd I have no choice.

To even compare the genius of Pink Floyd to the juvenile, random scratchings of a band like Nirvana is complete heresy. Floyd was one of the great forerunners and helped bring guitar rock into the mainstream. They pioneered a ton of techniques, such as tape delay, and created their own style of music that many have tried to imitate.

Nirvana, on the other hand, didn't really doing anything new and sent the entire music scene into the sh*tter for ten years because they were too mediocre of musicians to fit into the 80's rock generation.

Peace out mofos!
# 12
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
11/14/2001 7:07 am
My 3 cents on some history of guitar players and bands from the,beginning=40s 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s 2000 ect!
I think we all owe all the great guitar player's and the bands of,yester-year something .
The one thing i like about van-halen plus eric clapton,
they and a few others give credit where credit is due!
Like eric knows we all owe bb-king and blues players,
before him alot for the blues.
Van-halen knows that Les Paul was the great inventer,
of echo affects plus countless other things.
In thier own right all the bands of today plus the old,
bands of yester-year,are all good in thier own right.
And one thing we all know if your a guitarist,
we all steal from other guitarist's.
You don't think Jimmy H started out playing like he did,
when he first started.Know he stole from chuck berry,
and countless other guitar player's and so did Srv.
They all were stealing from somebody.
And we all owe James Burton one of great rockabilly,
guitarists from the 50s and early 60s for the slinkys or,
custom strings you buy now.If he had't experemented,
with useing banjo strings to do bends you would'nt,
have those assorted sets of strings you buy today.
Also you would't have had your distortion affects if,
it was't for an old country bass man that blew a tube,
in his amp while playing on a country song called,
(Don't worry about me) by Marty Robbins.50s
They were going to redo the record but they listened,
to it and decided to leave the fuzz affect in it.
And it turned out to be a big hit for Robbins plus,
paved the way for the fuzz and distortion pedels of today!
And i can't forget the great Chet Atkins Mister guitar,
he done alot for the guitar plus recording studios.
Chet proved that one man could sound like a whole band.
And belive it or not Tapping,plus,sweep picking was done,
in the 50s by alot of guitarists they just did't have,
a name for it back then plus they cou'nt sell it.
I forgot to mention that James Burton could make his,
guitar sound like he was useing an echo effect when,
he was laying down a rhythm track for Ricky nelson.50s
Without useing a affects pedel.
Also useing power chords made alot of hits for chuck Berry,
plus created a style your all useing a part of today.
Like i said before Nirvana is not and will never be ,
the best Band thier is no best band!
Thier never will be a best band.
You just don't get it!

P:S Also the King of Rock&Roll was (Little Richard)
if he would have been white he would have gotten the crown,
not Elvis!Also Bill Haley and the comets would have been,
Roadies.....................

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 11-14-2001 at 02:18 AM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 13
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
11/14/2001 8:34 pm
Hey NIrvana dont suck
how long will it take me to persuade u all?
Kurt Cobain was a great guitarist he played simple stuff because he doesnt need to show off or play crappy music!
Krist Novoselic is teh best bassist you'll find around-still
and Dave Grohl, Dale Crover, Chad Channing are the best drummers that dont look like puffs
Lets be honest all these 70s/80s glamrock bands are, repetitive they all look the same and all sound the same
Nirvana made something new, they invented something new that no one has managed to achieve since!
What did all the OLDIE bands like:
Def Lepard
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
etc what did they do that was original?
Apart from suck in their own way with there multiple guitarists, bet they didnt have 1 lead guitarist taking all responsibilties:
playing the solo and still keepin the song going
any way i dont want to bore you as i'm sure you have heard these bands above so argue with that!!!

wow posts like this one gets makes me madder than the whole political issue :)

*can you tell me please who is the second guitarist in pink floyd or in led zeppelin?????
*did you you ever hear the song time???? the whole career of nirvana doesnt worth the solo from this song, im not a pink floyd fan, but this IS a great solo
*you should learn your music styles - pink floyd and zeppelin are not glam rock, you can put them in many categories but not in the glam one
*did you hear the song "since ive been loving you"?? one guitar player, one bass player who also does the piano, one singer and one drummer, and believe me kurt cobain never and i mean never even got close to this one
*did you hear about a guy called ritchie blackmore from Deep purple????? how many zeppelin's songs have you ever heard????? 1? 2????
jesus! i cant understand even why people think nirvana is an original band, they took the 70's and 80's punk and played it in an annoying garage form....
the like any other rock band from their decade, only worse.
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
11/14/2001 9:29 pm
I think you should all slow down and read Skee1's reply thoroughly, I think he's pretty much hit the nail on the head...
First of all I'd like to say Nirvana is one of my faviourite bands, but I honestly cannot say Kurt was a great guitarist, he was crap but honest about it, and that doesn't necierily mean his music is crap... I mean Dylan's stuff is simple but it really gets you... I'm his abbility in song writting no composing 3 minute solos....
Secondly, when I used to just listen to bands like Greenday and Nirvana I thought it was amazing and ground-breaking (i mean to me it was)... Then a friend gave some Black Sabbath / Led Zepplin albums (both of which I cannot stomach, except for their work on the acoustic which is absoloutly buitiful), and I eventaully got my hands on some KISS and WASPS etc, and I reilized how derived the sound was... This really doesn't change the fact that "heart shaped box" is a good song...
I'll back Skee1, and say there is no such thing as a "best band ever", as at the end of the day music comes down to taste, or else we'd all be playing the same thing, and thank god we dont... Imagine how boring that would be...

Keep you ears open, because the intresting stuff that's happening isn't really in guitar-though a pedal- through an amp type music, It's stuff like Sigor Ros (yes there is a mild resemblance to Pink Floyd) and Aphex twin...
# 15
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/14/2001 10:04 pm

Sigor Ros? Aren't they the band from Iceland with the singer that sings in her own personal language? I remember all the critics raving about it, so I downloaded one of their tunes from Audiogalaxy. Man, did it suck!
# 16
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
11/15/2001 9:47 am
Which song did you get?
I've got the Album, and out of that I'd say get "Sven-G-Englar" or "Staraflur", they're ace, but dont get tracks like "Flugufrelsarinn" untill you've listened to the fisrt too... Actually I'm listing to "Flugufrelsarinn", I think it's very good, but it's weird, but VERY cool... certainly better than the bjork stuff....
Get any thing from the album "Agaetis Byrjun", that's what I've got...
Track listing:
1. Intro
2. Svefn-G-Englar
3. Staralfur
4. Flugufrelsarinn
5. Ny Batteri
6. Hjartad Hamast
7. Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa
8. Olsen Olsen
9. Agaetis Byrjun
10. Avalon

Yeah, just get one of the these and give them a chance... The problem is with Aphex Twin is that he's always doing new wierd stuff but is not always good...
# 17
spazzed
spazzed
11/15/2001 10:18 pm
i started an arguement over Nirvana being the best band (which in MY opinion they are)
i agree that Kurt was not a great guitarist but NIRVANA were a great band
i think that there music was different, and through trying i have not been able to find a decent grundge band that are anywhere near as good as nirvana
while i am confessing i havent really heard much of those "oldie" bands so i cant really comment
its just i got some mate whos really into them
and he puts me off the idea of them!
surley you cant argue with that now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 18
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
11/16/2001 12:00 am
Originally posted by educatedfilm
Which song did you get?

I don't remember. It wasn't really worth remembering. It was whatever the "featured" song on Audiogalaxy was.

i started an arguement over Nirvana being the best band

Dude, no one cares. Nirvana isn't worth arguing over, or even mentioning for that matter. (except for what I said, that they completely ruined popular music for ten years)
# 19
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
11/16/2001 5:39 am
My last reply on Nirvana!
Man if your a guitarist or a guitar player it's not,
really healthy to just dwell on one group,
or try to just sound like them they all ready have,
Nirvana.And a good guitarist dos'nt just try to,
play one style of music.
You'll find that the good guitarists plus all good bands ,
at one time tried other styles of music.
Man like i said your listening to your peers=mates and going,
thro a fad we all do this when first starting out,
with guitar plus listening to one band only or one style.
But it will take a few years for you to pay your dues, in music then you will wake up and say hey" there are other good bands out there!

Good luck!

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 11-16-2001 at 12:44 AM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.