View post (What do you think about rap?)

View thread

09/23/2001 1:34 pm
Hi, my name is James, and I used to be a rapaholic.
It's sad but true. Back in my young, immature, pathetic days I used to like rap. But the question that everyone who likes rap has to ask themselves is, do they truly like rap or do they just like the image that rap gives them, or how it makes them fit in with peers. When I finally asked myself that and realized how pathetic I was, I started a long and hard journey to find my individuality, my self-esteem, and basically, myself. I found it in Aerosmith. Thus began my love affair with music. Now, the number of bands and artists that I love would be to many to name, but not one of them includes rap.

As for it being all crap... well like trendkillah and Ras I don't like to dismiss an entire genre like that. There is some good stuff, but the majority, and probably whatever you see on MTV will be crap. Yes, videos are pretty damn pathetic now... take your standard collection of homies in a car that bounces, add some half naked 'hoes' in the backseat, and a whole lot o' crazy hand gestures and you got yourself a top 10 video. This rap doesn't appeal to anybody but the preteen, middle-upper class whitebreads... I have news for those people; those who really live in the ghetto can't afford $500 worth of Fubu clothes and 40 pounds of gold chains around their neck.

Whenever I see someone like this walking by with their "homie strut" (that is, where one leg appears to be quite shorter then the other) I just think, "me and Guns N'Roses could kick you and Wu-Tangs ass anyday of the week."