The Basic Basics

petermetcher
petermetcher
08/21/2001 10:33 pm
I have been 'playing' for a few months now and am having trouble with some chord changes (G to C for example). I had a close look at what I am doing and the problem seems to be the way I am holding the guitar.

So, what is the best way to hold a guitar to;
1. allow easier chord changes, and
2. maintain control of the neck.
# 1
Luke_16
Luke_16
08/26/2001 7:22 am
the way I was taught, u are supposed to keep your thumb toward the bottom of the neck so you can reach with your fingers easier, but instead I rest it between my thumb and index finger, that gives you all the control you need, but the only real ways to get good at the changes is to find a song that uses em and practice a minimum of an hour everyday. If you're really dedicated and wanna learn, you'll get it. A good song to practice is that leave your lights on song by everclear and santana, the rythym part goes, Am,C,G,F,E

it sounds cool and is a good practice for your C to G change. Good Luck
later,
Luke
# 2
blackrose
blackrose
09/01/2001 12:06 am
keep your hand/wrist perpendicular to the neck. of course the most effective way to learn anything is to practice it like 3 hours a day and eventually youll get it. anyways, the better you get at it the more youll start doing it the right way, kind of like typing.
# 3
petbro
petbro
09/10/2001 8:39 pm
there`s only one way to get that chord transition keep trying don`t stop i had exactly the same problem but it will come in the end mate good luck.
peter the pumkin eater
# 4
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
09/11/2001 6:03 pm
Petbro is bang on.

But I will add this - find what is comfy for you I was told always to keep my thomb at the back of the neck, but it did not suite me so I play with my thumb sort of around and over, works for me but not for every one else.

Try all way's.

We all start out with the same problems and we all practice and overcome then something else comes along for us to overcome.

once you overcome a problem you think to yourself god it wasn't that hard and grin to think you were daft enough to let it get you worked up and feel down as to how far you are progressing.

Once you learn to overcome one type of problem like chord changing it gets easier to overcome the next challenge such as soloing or sweep picking or what ever.

the guitar never gets easier you just get better at achieving thing's on it and moving on to the next stage.

*Never think what you cant do*, look back at what you can do. think I learn't the chords so I must be able to learn the changes.
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.