Guitar picking

rabbit
rabbit
07/12/2001 4:55 am
Hi guys hope you can help. I've been playing for a couple of years and have tried different picks but I need advice on using the right one. I play both rhythm and lead, in the metal style (speedy power chords and licks). I'm alright playing leads but when it comes to rhythm, it sucks. I've tried dunlop Jazz III's, which are great for leads, and medium and heavy Dunlop tortex's. when I try fast rhythm playing the pick catches on the strings. When I try a medium guage it strums better but seems too light for heavy rhythm work, and also not so good for leads. Any ideas on what picks would be good for both speedy leads and heavy rhythm work. Or is there a killer technique i don't know of??
The first time I played sober was because I just forgot to drink. 'Damn' I thought...'I'm playing better.' James Hetfield
# 1
emmanuel79
emmanuel79
07/19/2001 7:58 am
perhaps this may notsound useful but I just give you some tips or maybe advice. I've been playing the guitar for 10 years and I have used several picks. there are may kinds of pick in terms of brand and materials. Some made of plastics, some made of alluminium or steel, some made of rubber which is not 100%. For me name of picks does not concern as sizes and the materials are.

1. Either you play rythm, lead or plucking, CONMFORTABLE comes first. Comfort may vary as you may feel what kind of material do you feel comfortable when you play lead or rythm and which sizes comforts you when you play lead or rythm.

2. If you use to play metal, it is better to use any small size pick not the medium.

3. Any sizes and shapes and materials require the RIGHT position of holding the picks as well as your picking technique.

4. You might consider to improve your picking technique as well and keep using the same pick in order to minimizes pick catches on strings. This is my advices, keep using and practising using the pick you prefer most in order to familiarize yourself with the pick and your picking technique improved. If you keep changing picks, you will not be able to get the right picking technique and it will slow your improvement.

5. Why not buy a group of picks from the same model except different colours or maybe different series. As you may not feel the differents if using any of them. This is just to make sure you still have the same kind of picks and the backup for you Comfort will always be there......

*Aliens Understand Music*
# 2
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
07/19/2001 2:41 pm
You might also try experimenting with your right hand tec.
like holding the pick in other ways.
Also try to look at your picking tec while your picking.
I know SRV used his pick backwards when picking.
like he used the fat part of the pick and not the tip.
Mainly so he could really dig into those strings.
Oh well this is something to try.

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/19/2001 3:35 pm

I used to use those huge jazz picks, but they suck for fast metal rthyms. I switched over to a medium-light pick and just got used to it for leads.

So if you play both lead and rthym, try switching to a light pick for the chords and just get used to it for the leads.
# 4
rabbit
rabbit
07/20/2001 12:06 am
Thanks guys I've been trying different picks to see which ones suit me best. At the moment I've ditched the Dunlop Jazz III for a Dunlop purple tortex (1mm i think) which seems to be working. it's a little thinner than the Jazz III and easier on the heavy rhythm stuff. I'll stick with those and develop technique I guess. I also tried the Dunlop green tortex (.88mm) but these were too light for me.

A question: How fast do you guys play? I mean 16th notes at bpm on the metronome?
The first time I played sober was because I just forgot to drink. 'Damn' I thought...'I'm playing better.' James Hetfield
# 5
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/20/2001 5:30 pm

You mean how many 16th notes can we play in between beats?

Hmmm . . . I've never really thought about it.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.